The Front Lever in my opinion is one of the most underrated bodyweight exercises. The front lever is an isometric exercise done with your bodyweight where you are hanging off of a bar or rings with your arms straight while your body is parallel to the floor. This exercise can be modified to different variations where you are going from a dead hang to a front lever as well. This exercise can be progressed or regressed for anybody. It is kind of like the bodyweight version of a lat pullover.
The benefits of the front lever are:
• One of the best core exercise in existence.
• One of the best lat exercises you can do.
• Good lat activation exercise (for people who have trouble feeling their lats working during deadlifts, pull ups or rows).
• Good triceps exercise that works the long head isometrically without stressing the elbows too much.
• The biceps, forearms and obliques also get some work as well.
• Improves your deadlifts, rows and pull-ups.
• You don’t need a lot of equipment to do this exercise.
• Looks pretty badass.
Jason Ferruggia from the Renegade club likes this exercise as well and he even said that the front lever could change the way your lats look in as little as 6 weeks. Juice and Lord Vital from beast mode also do them which makes the front lever an awesome exercise in my books. Lets face it, most people are too lazy to do ab work (such as myself) but if ab work helped you get bigger lats and triceps then suddenly ab work doesn’t seem so boring anymore.
Not to forget that it was one of Francos favorite lat exercises along with pull ups and rows. The beauty in this exercise lies in the simplicity of it, if you have a pull-up bar at home then you are good to go. Try out this exercise and let me know what you think, I promise you won’t be disappointed.